Are Speech and Language skills the same thing?
- The short answer is, NO, they are not the same. Speech refers to sound production, and language refers to ideas we understand, speak, read and write.
Speech and Language Services are provided to students at Alden Primary School who have delays and disorders in the following areas:
- Articulation Therapy - working to improve age-appropriate sound production
- Fluency Therapy - learning skills and strategies to improve fluent speech
- Voice Therapy - working to improve respiration (breathing), phonation (producing voice), and resonance (nasality)
- Receptive language - understanding language
- Expressive language - application of language/using language to communicate
- Cognitive aspects of communication - critical thinking and higher level thinking skills
- Auditory processing skills - improve ability to understand auditory information and memory skills/how your brain interprets sounds you hear