New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and non-public elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
The Alden Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. If you wish to have your name placed on the 48-hour pesticide notification list, please request a form from the Buildings and Grounds Department. Your submission will be valid for the current academic school year. Only one (1) submission is required for the period July 1 - June 30.
The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- Anti-microbial products.
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to
- Nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Silia gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas
- inaccessible to children;
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- The application of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) designated biopesticides;
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25;
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets; or
- When a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list. Please feel free to contact the Director of Facilities III, at (716) 937-9116, ext. 4503 for further information on these requirements.