1. How would you describe a food chain to someone who hasn’t thought about that idea before?
2. When you go “down” the food chain by continuing to ask “What does it eat?” at what category of living things do you always end up?
3. Rather than showing just one food chain, the images below show a habitat, where several food chains are linked to each other. Draw arrows connecting each of these living things by what they eat, then answer question #4.
4. When you connect all the different food chains within one habitat, like you did above, what words or phrase do you think best describe how this diagram looks? Why?
5. Research: Choose any animal, such as your favorite animal, then use a trustworthy source of information to find out the answers to the two “food chain” questions, What does it eat? and What is it eaten by? (If your animal isn’t eaten by anything else, that’s okay, just be sure to say so.)
1. How do you know that a tree isn’t gaining its weight from the soil?
2. What do you think would happen to a plant if you put tape on the undersides of its leaves? Why?
3. In the experiment where the scientist weighed a tree and its soil, even though the soil barely lost any weight, it did lose a little bit of weight. Given what you know about plants, why do you think that happened?
4. Many people who haven’t learned about plants believe that plants eat soil. What are some reasons why they might think that?
A fully inflated 29.5 inch basketball weights 22 ounces or about 1.375 pounds.
(class code 5HM5AH) (password 1234) A Plant Puzzle on Readworks
How do you want to make your Mold Terrarium different from the Basic Terrarium? Think of at least 4 different conditions you want to test, and choose your two favorite ideas.
What’s your plan?
Draw your set up (the bag, plate, & food).
Do you think mold in your terrarium will grow faster or slower than mold in the basic terrarium? Why do you think that?
Observe in the days ahead.
What might affect the worms behavior?
What questions do you have about worms?
1. What animals do you think Tyrannosaurus rex would eat? Why do you think that?
2. List the animals you think can survive when the sunlight is blocked.
3. Why did some animals go extinct while other animals survived? Construct an explanation using evidence from your food web.