Marking Period 2
We will be working through the following tasks (go to the bottom and work your way up) ...
Assignment - Field Trip - "A Day in the Work Life" (due mid-June)
- Several CEIP work sites and students have expressed a great benefit to interns spending an entire "work day in the life" of their mentors. Sometimes this is possible on a weekend of school holiday, but other times not. This Field Trip is really a half-day since the student is already released early for CEIP. The student is responsible for all logistics, planning, and getting a Teacher Pre-Approval Form completed prior to the day at work. Also, a Parent/Guardian must sign the Permission slip. The permission slips can be downloaded from the Student Handbook page of this web site.
- This project is optional. A grade of 100 will be include in your marking period average. 
Assignment - The Interview Process
- Decide on a job that you will apply for in 4 or 5 years. This job should be the entry level job for the start of your ideal career.
- Clean up your resume. Use previous comments and corrections. 
- Clean up your cover letter. Use previous comments and corrections. 
- Submit them to me a few days in advance in order to schedule an interview with me and an interview committee (some of your classmates). 
- Each time I reject your resume and/or cover letter your grade for this assignment will loose 5 points.
- Have your classmates review your resume and cover letter. Be critical, you will learn from each other.
- Develop a list of 7 questions you think should be asked at your interview. They should be specific to the position you are applying for and your would be wise to consider their answers. We will add other questions. 
- Develop a list of 3 questions you might ask TO your interview committee during or after the interview. 
- Interview Behavior - greetings, hand shake, posture, attire, composure. 
Assignment 11 - INTERN APPRAISAL FORM - due BEFORE end of EACH marking period
Print the "Student intern Appraisal Form" from the Intern Handbook page of my website.
Discuss the form with your mentor. Do NOT just drop it off on their desk or mailbox. Allow them a few minutes to scan it over and ask for clarification if needed. Mention that you need to sit with them for a few minutes and discuss their completed appraisal before you bring the form back to me.
Return the completed form to me by 10/30 (earlier is better).
Repeat this procedure each marking period.
Assignment - Class Discussion Topics
- Read the text thoroughly enough to prepare answers and lead a class discussion on the Review Concepts and Critical Thinking Questions (#2 - #9) for one of the topics below:
- Workplace Health and Safety - pg 258
- Legal Matters - pg 278
- Entrepreneurship - pg 96
- Career Plan - pg 119
- Prepare your answers and thoughts concisely in a google doc titled: CEIP-lastname-discussion.
- Add the discussion topics for each marking period to the same doc, just label them with the marking period in which they will be discussed.
- Let me know in advance when you want the class to discuss you topic. My hope is to have half the class present or more for the discussion.
- Make a brief entry in your journal about something you learned during the discussion. Do this when others lead their discussion topics too.
Assignment - PROFESSIONALISM (due Daily, 10% of each marking period grade)
- Daily attendance - in class or signed out to work site
- IF all work is up-to-date, you may sign-out elsewhere
- Call the Attendance Office (937-9116 x4197) when you safely arrive at your destination.
- Time Records - up to date (Google Spreadsheet)
- Contact Info - accurate (Google Spreadsheet)
- Communication - proactive with coordinator and mentor
- check in with me casually when you see me or formally during class time.
- refer to the grades online regularly and resolve issues before the end of the marking period
- check your email daily and reply promptly if appropriate
- smile and say hello when you randomly see me in the halls
- use class time effectively
- balance other time commitments (job, academics, athletics, ...)
- find ways to make successes not excuses
- do NOT put off many assignments until the last few days of the marking period
- Class Participation
- add constructively to discussions
- show body language that implies interest and engagement in the class
- demonstrate maturity with peers
Assignment - Workplace Safety, OSHA, Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace
- Find a "Case Study" that related to one of the topics.
- Develop a Google Presentation to present your "case" to the class.
- target 6 slides and 5 minutes
- You may choose a partner.
Assignment - Career Path Assessment #1
Follow this link to NYS Dept of Labor Youth Portal.
- Read and research using the 18 to 24 Year old options for Ready for Work?, Build For Future, and Find a Job.
- It is designed exactly for students in your situation.
- In your journal, create a section titled: Career Path Assessment #1. Write about the following:
- What Career Title most closely fit your career interests?
- How does this of these careers fit with your aptitudes?
- What high school courses are recommended for this career field?
- Are your current/past high school courses preparing you well for the next level of training and/or education in this field?
- Where is training available for each of these careers?
- What is the sequence of training like (major events, timeline, obstacles, certifications, degrees, ...)?
- How does the job outlook fit your career goals? Use your own words, but reference the resources from the site.
- What are some organizations and ways you can get involved in them to enhance your chances of successfully getting a job and excelling in your field?
Assignment - Intern Journal - Due Weekly
- Create a Google Doc titled: CEIP-Lastname-Journal
- I should have commented within your journal if you shared it properly.
- Let me know if you have not received a comment from me since this probably means I have not seen it and you have a zero.
a few suggestions...
add a date and time period and total time (9/16/09 1 - 2:30pm 1.5 hours) for each entry
perhaps go to Insert - horizontal rule (or something) to break up the days and keep things neat and organized.
add sufficient detail to make it obvious that you are engaged in critical thinking (need help - ask me)
- Your Journal Entry for each date of work should relate to:
Today, I learned .....
Questions I asked .....
Activities I did ....
Challenges I faced ...
I felt successful today because ....
Frustrations I faced today .... and I will overcome it (them) by ...