We will be working through the following tasks (go to the bottom and work your way up) ...
Assignment - Field Trip - "A Day in the Work Life"
- Several CEIP work sites and students have expressed a great benefit to interns spending an entire "work day in the life" of their mentors. Sometimes this is possible on a weekend of school holiday, but other times not. This Field Trip is really a half-day since the student is already released early for CEIP. The student is responsible for all logistics, planning, and getting a Teacher Pre-Approval Form completed prior to the day at work. Also, a Parent/Guardian must sign the Permission slip. The permission slips can be downloaded from the Student Handbook page of this web site.
- This project is optional. A grade of 100 will be include in your marking period average. 
Assignment - Watch Videos and Comment on Blogs
- We will watch and discuss the Video and Topics in Class. If you are normally not in class, you are expected to get the videos from Mr. Turton and watch them on your own. You can watch them during class time on another day or bring them home.
- Locate and watch the DVD from Anthony Robbins titled: Career - Find Your True Gift. The video presents 3 Paths to Maximizing Impact on Your Career. [I linked the video in the Blog too.]
- Follow this Link to Comment about Career - Find Your True Gift.
- NOTE - you may find your own video on You Tube (or other video site) relating to the importance of finding a career for which you have a passion instead of my video. Please add the link to your video in your comment on my Blog.
- Locate and watch the DVD from PBS and hosted by Donald Faison titled: Your Life Your Money. The video presents 3 Paths to Maximizing Impact on Your Career. [I linked the video in the Blog too.]
- Follow this Link to Comment about Your Life Your Money.
- NOTE - you may find your own video on You Tube (or other video site) relating to Personal Financial Management instead of my video. Please add the link to your video in your comment on my Blog.
Assignment - The Interview Process
- Decide on a job that you will apply for in 4 or 5 years. This job should be the entry level job for the start of your ideal career.
- Clean up your previously resume. Use previous comments and corrections. 
- Clean up your cover letter. Use previous comments and corrections. 
- Submit them to me a few days in advance in order to schedule an interview with me and an interview committee (some of your classmates). 
- Each time I reject your resume and/or cover letter your grade for this assignment will loose 5 points.
- Have your classmates review your resume and cover letter. Be critical, you will learn from each other.
- Develop a list of 7 questions you think should be asked at your interview. They should be specific to the position you are applying for and your would be wise to consider their answers. We will add other questions. 
- Develop a list of 3 questions you might ask TO your interview committee during or after the interview. 
- Interview Behavior - greetings, hand shake, posture, attire, composure. Refer to the Interview Process Guidelines for this class. 
Assignment - INTERN APPRAISAL FORM - due BEFORE end of EACH marking period
Print the "Student intern Appraisal Form" from the Intern Handbook page of my website.
Discuss the form with your mentor. Do NOT just drop it off on their desk or mailbox. Allow them a few minutes to scan it over and ask for clarification if needed. Mention that you need to sit with them for a few minutes and discuss their completed appraisal before you bring the form back to me.
Return the completed form to me by 10/30 (earlier is better).
Repeat this procedure each marking period.
Assignment - PROFESSIONALISM (due Daily, 20% of each marking period grade)
- Daily attendance - in class or signed out to work site
- IF all work is up-to-date, you may sign-out elsewhere
- Call the Attendance Office (937-9116 x4197) when you safely arrive at your destination.
- Time Records - up to date (Google Spreadsheet)
- Contact Info - accurate (Google Spreadsheet)
- Communication - proactive with coordinator and mentor
- check in with me casually when you see me or formally during class time.
- refer to the grades online regularly and resolve issues before the end of the marking period
- check your email daily and reply promptly if appropriate
- smile and say hello when you randomly see me in the halls
- use class time effectively
- balance other time commitments (job, academics, athletics, ...)
- find ways to make successes not excuses
- do NOT put off any assignments until the last few days of the marking period
- Class Participation
- add constructively to discussions
- show body language that implies interest and engagement in the class
- demonstrate maturity with peers
Assignment - TASK LIST / Training Plan - due each marking period
Meet with your Worksite Mentor.
Prepare a list of 6-10 general tasks that you will be working on during your internship experience. This list of tasks should be on a new "Yellow" form that eventually goes into your folder in school.
Agree on a time period to accomplish the tasks. Be as specific as possible (perhaps a date).
These tasks will be used to build your training plan and will provide an individual evaluation sheet, which your mentor will use to evaluate you each marking period (See Intern Appraisal Form below). The tasks should reflect the routine and needs of the mentor.
Add the list to your Intern Journal one time per marking period and clearly label it.
Modify it weekly or as needed (maybe not needed). This can be on paper or in your journal.
Discuss your training plan and tasks as you develop skills as part of your weekly journal entry.
Add task completion dates when applicable.
Assignment - Class Discussion Topics
- Read the text thoroughly enough to prepare answers and lead a class discussion on the Review Concepts and Critical Thinking Questions (#2 - #9) for one of the topics below:
- Applying for a job - pg 148
- Interviewing - pg 172
- Begin a new job - pg 198
- Prepare your answers and thoughts concisely in a google doc titled: CEIP-lastname-discussion.
- Add the discussion topics for each marking period to the same doc, just label them with the marking period in which they will be discussed.
- Let me know in advance when you want the class to discuss you topic. My hope is to have half the class present or more for the discussion.
- Make a brief entry in your journal about something you learned during the discussion. Do this when others lead their discussion topics too.
Assignment - Workplace Ethics: Case Studies
- Open the Workplace Ethics Project from the Projects page.
- Choose 2 Cases to present using google Presentations.
- OR, here are some choices from the text:
- Call in sick - pg 39
- Competing Fairly - pg 83
- Confidentiality - pg 213
- Due Credit - pg 232
- All must read the entire Ethics chapter - pg 202
- Form 2 different teams (1 for each case) with different students on each Team.
- It is your responsibility to schedule a day with your partner to present in class BEFORE the due date.
Assignment - Journal - Due Weekly
- Create a Google Doc titled: CEIP-Lastname-Journal
- I will have commented in your journal if you shared it properly.
- Let me know if you have not received a comment from me since this probably means I have not seen it and you have a zero.
- If you are lacking an internship at the moment, then list the tasks you are doing weekly to help get yourself connected. It is ok to be in a "holding pattern" for a while in many cases. However, you need to be thinking about what you can do. Your journal is the evidence.
a few suggestions...
add a date and time period and total time (9/16/09 1 - 2:30pm 1.5 hours) for each entry
perhaps go to Insert - horizontal rule (or something) to break up the days and keep things neat and organized.
add sufficient detail to make it obvious that you are engaged in critical thinking (need help - ask me)
- Your Journal Entry for each date of work should relate to:
- Today, I learned .....
- Questions I asked .....
- Activities I did ....
- Challenges I faced ...
- I felt successful today because ....
- Frustrations I faced today .... and I will overcome it (them) by ...