Speech Language Therapy - General Information
What is a speech language pathologist?
A speech language pathologist is a professional who evaluates and treats children or adults who have needs within the areas of speech, language or swallowing.
Speech Language Classifications
- Speech Improvement - Speech improvement is a building-level service, recommended for students that demonstrate a mild to moderate delay in speech and/or language skills. Service levels are at the discretion of the Speech Language Pathologist.
- Speech Impaired - Students have a moderate to severe delay in speech and/or language skills. Services are provided 2 to 5 times per week for 30 minutes. Students who are Speech and/orLanguage Impaired have been classified through the Committee on Special Education.
Areas of Service
- Articulation Therapy - working to improve sound production.
- Fluency Therapy - learning skills and strategies to improve fluent speech.
- Voice Therapy - working to improve respiration (breathing), phonation (producing voice), and resonance (nasality).
- Receptive language - understanding language.
- Expressive language - application of language.
- Cognitive aspects of communication - critical thinking and higher level thinking skills.
- Auditory Skills Therapy - improve ability to understand auditory information and memory skills.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) - introducing vocabulary and teaching grammar rules to non-native English speakers.
Should you have any questions regarding the speech or language development of a child in your family, please feel free to give me a call. I am always happy to answer a question and if I don't have the answer, I will get one for you!
The information provided within this website is intended for educational purposes only. While reasonable efforts have been made by Alden Central School teachers/staff to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of this site and its links, content may change without notice. Alden Central School teachers/staff and the Alden Central School District are not responsible for loss, damages or misdirection incurred as a result of these sites or links.