We appreciate your interest in coaching Alden Central School's student-athletes. Those interested in applying for a coaching position must meet standards set by New York State. All coaches must meet this same standards, whether they are modified, JV, or varsity, paid or unpaid.
To apply, please fill out this application:
Certified teachers (not necessarily at ACS) must have:
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certifications (consult this list as the course titles must match exactly)
- Concussion course - free course through NFHS (link) that must be renewed every two years
- Within two years of coaching, you must complete: Philosophy, Principles, and Organization of Athletics in Education
- Within five years of coaching, you must complete: Health Sciences Applied to Coaching AND Theory & Techniques of Coaching
- If you begin coaching a second sport, you have one year from the date of that appointment to complete part II of Theory and Techniques in the second sport.
NOTE: If you are a phys ed certified teacher, you do not have to take the coaching courses (#4 and #5).Non-certified teachers must have:
- All of the requirements a certified teacher needs (#1-6 above).
- Fingerprinting clearance through N.Y. State Education Department (go to https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/14ZGR7/appointment/bio or contact Joette Cappello @ 687-2304).
- Child Abuse Prevention Workshop - listed as Child Abuse Identification
- Violence abuse prevention workshop - listed as Safe Schools Against Violence
- Dignity For All Students Act (DASA) training
- You must obtain a Temporary Coaching license from their Erie 1 BOCES by applying on-line through the NYSED TEACH system. This will cost you a $50 money order or credit card payment. Click here for instructions. This is renewed annually.
- If a non-teacher coach has completed these requirements and coached for a minimum of three years, they may apply for a professional coaching license that is renewable every three years.
OPTION for both certified teachers and non-certified teachers:
As of 2015, you can also take the Second Pathway alternative online through the NFHS website. The courses through BOCES are classroom courses and cost $200 each. The courses through the NFHS are completed online and vary in cost per course. You have to take several shorter courses to equate to the longer classroom course.
In order to complete the “second pathway” standard to replace the Philosophy course, you have to finish:
- Fundamentals of Coaching (NYS Specific) (~$35) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61113/fundamentals-of-coaching
- First Aid, Health and Safety For Coaches ($45) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/26/first-aid-health-and-safety
- Concussion in Sports ($0) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61151/concussion-in-sports
- One Sport Specific course of your choice. (~$50) Search for this on the NFHS website.
- After this, click on your NFHS Dashboard. Choose Certificates. Once done with all four courses, you will be able to get an AIC Level 1 certification. The athletic office will need this certificate.
In order to complete the “second pathway” standard to replace the Health Sciences course:
- Creating a Safe and Respectful Environment (Free) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/28000/bullying-hazing-and-inappropriate-behaviors
- Strength and Conditioning ($50) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/27000/strength-and-conditioning
- Teaching and Modeling Behavior ($20) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/8000/teaching-and-modeling-behavior
- Engaging Effectively with Parents (Free) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61154/engaging-effectively-with-parents
- Sports Nutrition (Free) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61141/sports-nutrition
- Heat Illness Prevention (Free) – https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61140/heat-illness-prevention
- Click on your NFHS Dashboard. Choose Certificates. Once done with all six courses, you will be able to get an AIC Level 2 certification. The athletic office will need this certificate.
In order to complete the “second pathway” standard to replace the Theory & Techniques of Coaching course:
- Internship: 30 hour minimum. Includes
- Internship evaluation form completed by athletic director
At the end of each course, there is a certificate you can either print or digitally send to the athletic director(s). This will also need to be uploaded to your TEACH account if you are a non-certified teacher.